Monday, September 24, 2007

C is my mother tongue too!

Quite frankly, even if the choice of C were to do *nothing* but keep the C++ programmers out, that in itself would be a huge reason to use C.
-Linus Torvalds
For the curious souls: http://lwn.net/Articles/249460/

I love this guy, and his view, but not everything that he says in that post. C is my mother tongue, anyway! And there's very little doubt about it after the fact that I've taken the much dreaded but highly revered course from CMU's CS dept: 15-213: Introduction to Computer Systems, the course that gives CMU it's ZIP!

P.S. No offense intended to my C++ programmer buddies! This was just an interesting thread I thought of sharing. Views in that post are definitely too strong, or even arrogant I would say.

4 comments:

Sagar Bhanagay said...

Yes! Me a die-hard fan of K&R C too. Wonder why any other language was needed ;) ;O

Darth Chatri said...

I used to think the same. However Qt (http://trolltech.com/) made me changed my mind. There are a few advantages of using classes. But yes, as a language, C is much much better :)

Mayuresh said...

It depends on what you want to do. For die hard programmers who love to do low level programming and wants more flexibility, C is way too good and you get the kick of programming. But for developing fancy applications and specially when you don;t want to rely on programmer's skill and wish the language to do it for you (rememeber hard time debugging nasty C programs), object oriented programming comes handy.

Sweta said...

i agree with Mayuresh. But in any case I love C language and the way it is.