Monday, February 27, 2006

Cool Weekend

This weekend was much pleasant than earlier! Yes, I managed to finish off all my work through Friday and assure myself uninterrupted weekend. I burnt about 12+ DVDs backing up all my important data, and cleaned up a lot of mess in my room. Dusted my PC off all the filth it accumulated since last time I cleaned it, which was about good 3-4 months ago ;-) My mom was pretty impressed and satisfied with this feat of mine, since she was after me to dust my comp for too long. My mom would have dusted it herself, but the countless wires dangling around is a strong enough deterrent for her. Watched a good movie after the chores: Pride & Prejudice. More on it later...

Sunday football was fun, as usual. It was fun to have an old timer, Sam, back to the game. This time we even managed to have an extra player as substitution!!! I didn't have to run too hard like last weekend because my buddy (Ajit) played excellent last defence, and hardly any pass went past him. I could afford to be a little lazy with him around! He was man of the match this Sunday, a star defender! Rest of the day just melted away pleasantly while hosting guests at my place.

Felt more at peace this weekend after a break from gruelling routine. Could connect to my inner self for few moments :-) OOps, this is getting too philosophical!

Now about Pride & Prejudice...


As most of you might already know, it's based on Jane Austen's novel about five beautiful Bennet sisters - Elizabeth, or Lizzie (Keira Knightley), Jane (Rosamund Pike), Lydia (Jena Malone), Mary (Talulah Riley), and Kitty (Carey Mulligan), by the same title. Filmed entirely on locations in the U.K., portraying 18th century country, the scenic beauty is just breathtaking. Cinematography is too good, almost flawless, I would say.


Entirely based on class-conscious England, it's an interesting story of love-hatred-pride and prejudice. When wealthy bachelor Mr. Bingley takes up residence in a nearby mansion, the Bennets are abuzz. Jane (my favourite, Rosamund), eldest of daugheters, serene and beautiful, finds herself loosing her heart to Mr. Bingley.


Lizzie too meets handsome and charming (but apparently conceited) Mr. Darcy. When the good-natured Mr. Bingley abruptly departs for London, devastating Jane, Lizzie holds Mr. Darcy culpable for contributing to the heartbreak. But a crisis involving youngest sister Lydia soon opens Lizzie’s eyes to the true nature of a fine gentleman!

I haven't read the novel so can't say how it fares when compared to it, but it is an entertaining movie!

BTW, I've heard that this novel is to females what Mario Puzo's Godfather is to guys!

---- re-edit ---

Don't confuse this with Bollywood's Bride and Prejudice (Hinglish) with this one. And with the reputation of bolly films (that I have) I bet this one would be not even close to what holly version has to offer!

3 comments:

Vaarun said...

Ive tried reading this one, but u know what.. its really tough to get thru. Its got a slow and leisurely pace, and I decided to give up when even after 4 pages, a conversation of little consequence between 3 of the sisters refused to end! I guess I just dint connect well with Jane Austin's style of writing.
I am sure though, that the movie would have been fun, I might see this one, just to figure out if it was the story that made this book such an acclaimed one.

Sheetal Kamat said...

i was thinking this movie has aishwarya rai :O and i do remember some movie like this been seen :O totally confused :)

The Shaolin said...

Don't confuse this with Bollywood's Bride and Prejudice (Hinglish) with this one. And with the reputation of bolly films (that I have) I bet this one would be not even close to what holly version has to offer!